Project Construction

 Going From

<- This to This ->


Screenshot #1...

This was for funny. Afterall, you gotta start somewhere right? The model doesn't look like much yet. At this point you have to use alot of imagination. 

Mar 14, 2010

 Screenshot #2

Rough body shape is finished. Smoothing modifier has been added to make it more appealing for the screenshot.

Mar 15, 2010

Screenshot #3

I got the cab hollowed out and the windsheilds cut out with the booleon tool. 

Mar 16, 2010 

Screenshot #4

Completed the side windows and added the door. 

Mar 17, 2010 

 Screenshot #5

We got Steps!

Mar 18, 2010

Screenshot #6

The beast is realy starting to take shape now. Headlights, Ditch Lights, and a Coupler, Oh My! 

Mar 21, 2010 

Screenshot #7

Started working on the front Bogey. It's only about halfway done, but figured I'd show what is done so far. 

Mar 27, 2010 

Screenshot #8 and #9

The Bogies are more almost done. Added a little color for the screenshot. 

Mar 31, 2010 

 Another angle...

Screenshot #10

Began adding detail to the back. The fans will be changed, they are phil_c's creations and are just there for reference... and they looked good for the screenie too. I will be designing my own fans when I get to the roof detail. 

Apr 01, 2010 

Screenshot #11, #12, #13, and #14  Into Trainz we go!

I was concerned with the amount of detail (poly's) I been putting into this beast. It looks great in Gmax, but I was wondering if trainz would protest. I did have some difficulty getting the bogeys to work correctly. On the first import nothing showed up but the wheels, and they hovered 2 feet above the track. With some cleaver tweaking, the mesh seems to work really well now. There is almost no driveable fuctionality at this point, the animations need fixed, the attachment points need minor adjustment, and the headlights... well, I won't even go there. Overall, it is coming together and looking great! 

Apr 02, 2010 

Another angle... 

To really bring out the detail, I added some reflectivity to the paint. Now it looks like stainless steel! 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #15 and #16

Got most of the Side panels done... 

Apr 07, 2010 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #17, #18, and #19

Got the headlights to work... but can't seem to get them to shut off though... a bug to fix another day. Also, I am pretty much done with the side detail, vents and stuff. 

Apr 11, 2010 

A close up of the vent detail. 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #20 and #21

Finished the cab! This is only the cab for the exterior view though. The interior cab view is a whole other project. I had to retexture the whole thing, something went goofy with my textures and I had a million copys of a million copys... it was a mess. Had to get it all cleaned up and I figured I'd apply a new base color while I was at it. 

Apr 13, 2010 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #22

Got the exhaust effect and the animated fans finished. 

Apr 15, 2010 

Screenshot #23 and #24

Added Windows and wipers. Finished the roof detail and most of the back. 

Apr 24, 2010 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #25, #26, #27, and #28

The mesh is more or less complete with the exception of some minor tweaking. I finally got the specular effects to export out of Gmax by installing a new trainz exporter. So, I had to completly strip down the texturing and repaint from the ground up because the method I was using to give the paint its "shiney" effect didn't play well with the specular exporter. 

May 01, 2010 

Another angle... 

Another angle... 

Another angle... 

Screenshot #29

Finally got the locomotive running numbers working. That one took alot of banging my head on the keyboard to figure out. The Locomotive is more or less complete at this point. All that is left now is to create the many Livery paint schemes, and check through the mesh for errors.


May 11, 2010 

Screenshot #30

First Liveries are released! 

May 17, 2010 

Make a free website with Yola